Monday, October 26, 2009

Random Thoughts of a More Serious Nature

Okay, so that title probably isn't going to create much interest for the casual blog surfer, but this post is one that has great meaning to me.

I have had a lot of thoughts swirling around in my head these past few weeks. I kept waiting for the wind to die down so I could concentrate more clearly on one or two of them. I was sure something profound was there amidst all the commotion, but I think life has kept me too busy to spend much time pondering, which I am sorry to say.

So rather than dedicate an entire post to just one topic, I thought I would write a little about a few.

Here goes.

1. A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to attend Time Out For Women here in Phoenix. I loved the speakers, their thoughts and messages, although it always takes me a little while to get over the feeling that I just paid a lot of money to hear a Deseret Book sales pitch. Still, two things stand out. First is a book by Emily Freeman called “The Promise of Enough”. She took a very simple story, the feeding of the five thousand, and turned it into a sweet book on abundance. I love learning what other people get from the scriptures. It gives me a greater desire to search them more closely to find the lessons the Lord has for me.

The second was Kris Belcher. She is a woman who has lived a life of extreme challenges and yet has found humor in her situation and has turned her trials into an opportunity to serve others. After hearing her speak about going blind and having cancer, I decided I could never justifiably complain about my life ever again.

But do you want to know my favorite part of the day? Lunch. And not because of the food. Knowing we would be competing with 2,000 other women for the few restaurants open on a Saturday downtown, we planned a picnic instead. There were five of us and each brought a portion of the meal. Together it was quite a feast. While sitting there on the ground, surrounded by friends and delicious morsels, I thought how grateful I am I don’t have to go through this life alone. I am sure that anything we do where everyone contributes is vastly better, and more enjoyable, than anything we could ever do on our own.

2. Our ward primary program was yesterday and it was beautiful. I was so touched by the singing of the children’s choir and their simple teaching of pure doctrine. I have to say my favorite part, however, was when a small group of children stood at the podium and sang. Not only did the words of the song stir my heart, but I was overcome by their sweet, little faces. I thought how wonderfully innocent they are right now, and I wanted to gather them all up and hug them. I think there can’t be anything in the world more precious than a sweet, innocent child.

3. In seminary the other day we were discussing tools to help us avoid deception. When the Book of Mormon prophet Jacob was confronted by the anti-Christ, Sherem, he used the scriptures, the words of the prophets and his own promptings from the Holy Ghost to avoid being deceived. We then talked about the evil doctrines of our day, the disintegration of the family being one of them. I asked the students to combat that evil with a teaching from the prophets and a scripture. One young man found the following scripture in Alma 43:47 in the Book of Mormon. I have heard this scripture many times before, but reading it that day, and in light of the challenges we face in preserving the family, our religious freedoms and our rights, it struck me in a way it never has before. It reads:

“And again the Lord has said that: Ye shall defend your families even unto bloodshed. Therefore for this cause were the Nephites contending with the Lamanites, to defend themselves, and their families, and their lands, their country, and their rights and their religion.”

Yes, there are some things worth dying for.

So there you have some of my random thoughts, thoughts that warm my heart, give me a greater appreciation for God, friends and family and bring . . . joy to my journey.

9 comments:

Heidi said...

I so much enjoyed the feast this post is. Thank you!

Handsfullmom said...

Beautiful thoughts, and not so random. I loved that scripture your Seminary student came up with.

Lisa @ Pulsipher Page said...

Great thoughts- Thanks for sharing. I love how you find teaching lessons all around you.

Shannon said...

I love stopping by here. I always come away better for it. Thanks.

Rebecca Irvine said...

Sounds like your mind has been busy lately. Our primary program is coming up and I am stressed about it. Hopefully it will go well. It always seems to be a spirit-filled meeting no matter how well the kids are prepared. It is a testimony to me of how my Heavenly Father loves little children.

Momza said...

Perfect message(s) for me today.
All we need to be happy is right here... family,good friends, church programs, scriptures and Prophets...what else do we need?

Anonymous said...

The last is something I think about all the time.

I live with this nagging thought that someday soon we may have to fight for what we love and believe in.

Jenny-Jenny said...

Thank you thank you thank you! Definitely a feast and things to reflect upon. You have enriched my day. I especially like the scripture, defend your families even to bloodshed. Powerful.

Marilyn said...

Thanks for the feast to my soul this morning!