Tuesday, January 11, 2011

10 Things I learned about myself this past week

Here are a few random things I learned about myself and my life this past week.

1. 1. 1. I can have all the resolutions I want, but nothing is going to happen unless I have a plan and work that plan.

2. 2. 2. I can waste a lot of time on the computer.

3. 3. 3. I absolutely love my church calling teaching the 16/17 year olds in SS. I truly think someone in Heaven loves me.

4. 4. 4. I LOVE a full house. Whether it is all my kids home, or Michelle and all of her friends hanging out. Having a house filled with people warms my heart.

5. 5. 5. I don’t do well the first week all my kids go back to school. Can you say DEPRESSION?

6. 6. 6. The birth of a grandbaby brings out all your maternal instincts. You want to cuddle him, feed him, take him home. And of course you know so much more than the parents and so you want to tell them how to do everything. BUT . . . the best thing you can do is give them a little space, bite your tongue and say “Good job!!” Eventually they will figure it all out. After all, our kids survived us.

7. 7. 7. When it comes to the different love languages, mine is definitely TIME. Nothing says love to me more than having someone make time to be with me. And nothing says “I don’t care about you” more, than when someone is always “too busy”.

8. 8. 8. That said . . . date nights with my husband, going out on weekends with friends and lunches with girlfriends are some of my most cherished activities.

9. 9. 9. I loved my life when all I had was pre-school children. All my friends were the same age and we spent our time with play dates, FHE groups, American Mother’s Association, Joy School etc. I was positive life would never get better.

Then the kids got older and could care for themselves. We had a little more money and a lot more freedom and our weeks were spent attending school activities, helping with homework and weekend dates where we didn’t have to pay a babysitter. I loved my life and was positive it would never get better.

But I decided the other day that I am in the very best phase of life right now. With Michelle home, we still spend our weeks at school activities, (basketball games) but we also get to play with grandchildren without the responsibility of raising them, can travel, have fairly good health, I am not wasting any effort trying to measure up to someone else, and I no longer care if company shows up and my house isn’t clean. I am absolutely positive life can't get any better, which I guess means . . . it is all down hill from here.:-).


10. The best part of trying to incorporate a healthy lifestyle is exercising with friends. The worst part—by far—is the lack of rich, creamy chocolate!!!

8 comments:

Shannon said...

I think your list is right on, except I do love the occasional quiet house and I'm not quiet to grandparenthood just yet.

Missed you! Glad you're back!

CB said...

I can really relate to your list. I love how life just keeps getting better and better - it makes getting older a whole lot easier!!

Lisa @ Pulsipher Page said...

Great list! The best time is the time your in. I love that!

Susan Anderson said...

I have to admit that my life enjoyment did take a little dive around the time my youngest went to school. Adjusting to the empty nest was hard for me, but I eventually got the hang of it. Other than that, I agree. Family life just kept getting better and better.

And I like it now, too, with just the two of us. I think I'll like it even better when my husband is retired. Right now, he's so busy I don't see enough of him!

=)

The Crazy Coxes said...

Congrats on your sweet new grandbaby! You DO have the best chruch calling. I LOVE eenagers. I'm glad you like where you are in life because I am right behind you! ;)

Rebecca Irvine said...

I love exercising with friends as well (so much fun together at the gym), but right now I cannot justify the amount of money and time it requires. It makes me sad--not to mention less motivated to exercise.

rad6 said...

Wow, love this post. I want to put it on my fridge!
Miss you. I have been absent for so long. I could probably spend hours catching up. Still teaching seminary and loving it. Miss you sending your notes. I can only imagine how great you are in SS. I came from that exact calling before seminary and I always think, I wish they would train us as SS teachers like they train in seminary. So to have that training and knowing better how to work with youth and teah them, I am sure it is an amazing combo... and you only teach once a week! WOW. I think I would like to be there after seminary... if there is life after seminary. I guess you have proven that there is. :)

alpinekleins said...

I LOVE this post. Helps me realize were all so similar in so many ways! Best wishes and hugs for you! May we meet again this year soon :)

Kristin