Monday, November 24, 2008

This Week's Theme----Gratitude

“Gratitude is deeper than thanks. Thankfulness is the beginning of gratitude. Gratitude is the completion of thankfulness. Thankfulness may consist merely of words. Gratitude is shown in acts”
David O. McKay
"A grateful heart is a beginning of greatness. It is an expression of humility. It is a foundation for the development of such virtues as prayer, faith, courage, contentment, happiness, love, and well-being."
James E. Faust

I love those quotes. I also love many scriptures that teach of gratitude. Here are a few of my favorites.

Thess 5: 18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.


D&C 98:1 Verily I say unto you my friends, fear not, let your hearts be comforted; yea rejoice evermore, and in everything give thanks.

D&C 78: 19 And he who receiving all things with thankfulness shall be made glorious: and the things of this earth shall be added unto him, even an hundred fold, yea
, more.
Alma 37:8 Blessed be the name of our God; let us sing to his priase, yea, let us give thanks go his holy name, for he doth work righteousness forever.

Psalms 100:4 Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.


In the past 24 hours I have been counting my blessings. Here are a few of them.

1. I am thankful for a husband who taught my seminary class this morning so I could spend all day yesterday getting things ready for my son's wedding Saturday.

2. I am thankful for the friend who said, "let me take care of that".


3. I am thankful for another friend who dropped by this morning and visited while I did my dishes. That boosted my spirits and started my day off just right.


4. I am thankful for the daughter who, seeing I was busy, finished getting dinner ready and set the table without being asked.


5. I am thankful for hugs, kisses, telephone calls and emails.


6. I am thankful to have enough money to buy food for Thanksgiving dinner.


7. I am thankful I will have all my children together under one roof on Thanksgiving day.


8. And mostly I am thankful for my faith, my family, good health and great friends. And that although things are getting tough in the world, there is still a lot to be grateful for.

No comments: