Tuesday, February 24, 2009

All About Sonia

The other day my friend, Sonia, jokingly told me it was her goal to make my blog. Not just one sentence in passing, but rather to have the entire post dedicated to her. So, my dear friend . . . be careful what you wish for, because . . . This one is for you!


This picture was taken at my surprise birthday party a couple years ago held at one of my most favorite restaurants, Abuelos. Sonia was a large part of putting that party together, and I loved it!



Family Night celebrating both my husband's and Sonia's Mexican heritage. Please ignore the unusual facial hair. Truly, after awhile you don't even notice it. :-)


What Sonia does at your house when you aren't there to keep an eye on her.


Actually, she graciously offered to update the decorating in my house and did a wonderful job. (That is not the finished product and I promise, all that stuff on the counters is now gone)


I love this picture! Not because we both look so good in it (which I know I don't) but because it was taken in Hawaii at the Polynesian Cultural Center and after spending the morning snorkeling. We did not have on any makeup nor had we done anything with our hair--and yet we were both still brave enough to pose for the picture. Courage at its best!



And speaking of being brave . . . This was taken in Tucson. We had gone there with our husbands for the night and it poured rain so our out door plans were canceled. So instead we entertained ourselves with a Nerf gun competition. Sonia was our target. (Not really.)


Tombstone, Arizona, (same trip, following day) feeling very Western, if not looking the part.



So as you can tell, Sonia is a very good friend, a great decorator and a lot of fun.

One thing I also very much appreciate about her is in my times of need she has always been there to help me--from the time I hurt my back, to helping with my kids when I have gone out of town, to the time I had surgery and she came over and gave me a pedicure, and then on another evening, when I was feeling better, but not well enough to go out, she and her husband came over and brought us dinner and entertained us all evening. When Wes had his surgery recently, they did the same.


The first time we went out as couples, she complained to her husband that she did not want to go out with us because we are (a few years) older than they are and she did not think she would have any fun. And I was positive we wouldn't have anything to talk about so I wrote a list of conversation topics on the palm of my hand to refer to if the conversation began to lag.

We had a great time and I never needed to look at my hand. And, although it has been several years . . . we still manage to find plenty to talk about.


So to Sonia . . .thanks for being such a great friend. And thanks for bringing such great . . . .joy to my journey.
AND A BIG HAPPY BIRTHDAY TODAY, FEBRUARY 25 TO:
MY SISTER --TERRI BALLSTAEDT
MY GOOD FRIEND FROM HIGH SCHOOL--LISA TANNER
AND MY GOOD FRIEND AND VISITING TEACHING COMPANION--MICHELLE HILL
I HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!

6 comments:

Donise Price said...

Oh, I want Sonia as a dear friend too! (I know, she a friend, but I mean a dear friend.)

justmeagain said...

Cute, fun pictures! And I am really impressed with a baby who can grow a mustache!:-)

Emma T said...

Aren't friends such a great blessing! They really do make our stay on earth a lot more fun!

Momza said...

First, I love the pics! Second, is Sonia taking applications for a new friend? say one in Colorado Springs, mayhaps?

NatureGirl said...

It is so nice to have good friends. On Hunky Hubby's 41st Birthday a few months ago, I did 41 things I love about him. You could try that when her birthday rolls around.

Dave and Camille said...

Yay for Sonia! Dave and I always talk about how much we love the Holmes. I'm glad you guys are friends with them too. Very sweet post! Sonia should be happy :)