Sunday, February 8, 2009

Day of blessings and miracles

Yesterday, Saturday, February 7, was a day of blessings and miracles. I began the morning by attending the sealing of one of my former seminary students, Ciara. I can remember when Ciara was born. Her mother and I served together in the young women's program and were expecting babies at the same time. We later moved away, but then Ciara's family also moved to our stake and I had the privilege of teaching her in seminary when she was a freshman. It has been fun to watch her grow, go away to college, serve a mission and now be married to her sweetheart.

I was so happy to be able to attend the sealing, but what brought even greater joy was to look around the sealing room and see five of my former students there. Besides Ciara, there was her older brother Jordan and three of Ciara's good friends. I was talking to the friends after the sealing and one of them, Natalie, said to me, "Isn't it so wonderful to all be here together in the temple?" It was. So much so that when I saw them all there it made me cry. What a wonderful sweet blessing that was.

In the afternoon, I was able to help set up for the reception. This brought such deep feelings of gratitude to me for the women in my ward. We joked that it was a "United Order" reception, in that many people brought the decorations they had, and all together it was absolutely beautiful. There were so many wonderful women, willing to dedicate their time, money, and resources to make the reception a success. I was so touched by all their selfless service.

And then in the evening we received a tremendous miracle. The weather report called for rain beginning around 6 p.m. and the reception began at 6:30. Everyone involved had prayed during the week that the rain would not come during the reception--as it was being held out doors. Michelle (Ciara's mother) told us she explained in her prayer that she didn't mind cleaning up in the rain, but asked that it not rain during the reception.

The reception ended at 8:30 and at about 8:20 we started feeling little sprinkles. By 8:30 it was a downpour. The next hour of cleanup was wet and cold, but there wasn't anyone there who did not appreciate the miracle that had occurred, especially when we heard that around 7:30 it was pouring rain only a half mile from where we were. What a sweet blessing that was and what a wonderful day I had.

Lastly--as long as I am writing about blessings, I want to add one my father received. While on his mission in Argentina nearly 60 years ago, he tracted out a home where he left a pamphlet with the teen aged daughter who lived there. He then was transferred and never knew what happened with the family. Several years ago, while teaching at BYU, he met an MBA student from Argentina who told him his mother was the girl he left the pamphlet with. She joined the church, married and raised her family in the gospel. Well, a couple weeks ago, my father read in the Church News that this same young man was just called to be a mission president.

So you never know what influence you might have on others. Leaving that pamphlet that day was such a simple thing, that did not appear to bear fruit, and yet, sixty years later, people are still being blessed because of it---and will continue to do so.

And there you have my day yesterday, and the many blessings that brought great . . . joy to my journey.


Becky said...

What a wonderful, heaven-blessed day! The gospel makes life worth living.

Heidi Ashworth said...

Thank you for posting this. I have been home sick from church and really appreciated this uplift!

JUST ME, THE MOM said...

I really enjoyed your comments about the "United Order" wedding. Having been in the same place - I am so grateful for all those who continually contribute to my life to make everything come together in a beautiful way!

Marilyn said...

That's why I love reading your blog-for the tender mercies you share!