Tuesday, January 17, 2012

So, If Anyone Is Still Out There . . . We Are Mission Bound!

I quit posting nearly three months ago. That was the same time we received a call to serve a mission.

Since then my head has been in a whirl, first trying to celebrate the holidays, put together the ward Christmas party, attend two weddings (one out of state) enjoy all my kids over Christmas break, and worry about my mother who was in the hospital again. While also crying over the thought of leaving my kids and grandchildren behind for three years, (did I mention our daughter Kristen, who got married last summer is expecting twins in July?) going to the dentist and having numerous medical tests, wondering what we will do with our house for that long, and trying to re-learn Spanish.

But rewind . . . . let me go back to the beginning.

Last fall Wes and I thought it would be a great idea to visit our kids in college so we decided to take a trip to Utah at conference time. Then one day, about a week before our trip, we received a telephone call from Elder Oaks' office. He wanted to meet with us while we were in Utah for conference.

Gulp.

Frankly, I was a bit nervous about it all, but also excited to spend some time with an apostle. During our visit with him he told us that Wes was being considered for a calling as a mission president but that they interview many more than they call. However, if we were to be called, it would probably be around December.

A week later we received a phone call from the missionary department asking us to fill out mission papers--which of course included medical and dental. So we began the process, still wondering if it were all for naught. Then about two weeks later, we received a call requesting that we meet with President Uchtdorf. We did and he extended the official call for us to preside over a Spanish speaking mission with service beginning June 23.

We still do not know where we are going but hope to find out in the next month. We were sent a list of possibilities though, and there are 30 missions on the list. About 10 of them I would be thrilled with. Another 6 I would have to pray very hard to be enthusiastic about, and the rest I really don't know enough about to have strong feelings either way. Not knowing is killing Wes, but I am okay waiting to find out. There is one place I really do not want to go, but it is where Wes thinks we will go, so I am happy to live a few more weeks in content oblivion.

For the past seven years Wes has served as the president of our stake. This coming Sunday he will be released from that calling. We have had to keep our new calling a secret until just this past week, when his release was announced. That has been extremely hard for me, as I have felt I was carrying a huge burden all alone.

Now that it is public I feel much better, but I am also sad to see Wes released. When they read the letter in church this past week, I sat and cried. He has served in the stake presidency for 12 years. It will be nice to sit by him in church again, but sad to see this time of our lives come to an end. I have absolutely loved my association with the counselor's wives, the high council, and bishop parties we held each year, and I will especially miss our annual bishop's wife luncheon in the fall. That is always a highlight of my year.

But now we will put it all in the past as we embrace this new adventure. I served a mission in Ecuador so I did know Spanish at one time, I just haven't spoken it since. But I am now working on it--along with studying Preach My Gospel along with a large stack of other books we were sent to study before beginning service this summer.

So that is where I have been. With my head spinning in the clouds all the while trying to get my feet back on the ground. But I have missed everyone and hope to get around to "visit" soon.

14 comments:

Momza said...

Would it be completely naive of me to think that YOU are living MY Dream? I long to serve a mission someday with my husband.
I am excited as can be for you and your family for this new experience! I'll definitely be living vicariously through you! So so happy for you both!

CB said...

Wow! Wow! and Wow!!
First just let me say you have definately been missed!! I just figured you had gotten busy and had not had time for blogging during the holidays, but no, something better.
I cannot even tell you how excited I am for you.
If you have time keep us posted - I am excited to hear where you are going!!

kms said...

Not familiar at all with this process.

Do you want to go? I mean could you say no and not fill out the paperwork? Or did you fill it out not knowing if you would have been selected?

Lisa @ Pulsipher Page said...

What an exciting adventure! I hope to one day serve with my husband! Will your youngest be going also? Can't wait to hear where! You will be an awesome mission presidents wife! I'm so happy for you both!

Dave and Camille said...

Happy for you! But words can't describe how much you and Dad will be missed. Thank goodness for technology!

Susan Anderson said...

How exciting! I hope you blog the whole time and keep us in the loop so we can enjoy your stint as MP and wife vicariously.

=)

Handsfullmom said...

Wow! How exciting for you and your family. Please let me know if I can help Kristen with her twins in any way. My in-laws left to serve in Armenia for three years just a week before my twins were born. We were still able to keep in good contact, as I started sending updates and pictures every week. Your family will be blessed by your service.

Shannon said...

How exciting! The wait would be killing me, too. My parents are waiting for their second mission call anytime now. As far as I know, they're are going as proselyting missionaries, but we won't know for sure until the paper arrives. Best wishes to you! Hope you keep up the blog so we can enjoy your experiences from a distance!

DianeSS said...

Congratulations! That is so exciting and I am sure very frightening too, but great blessings await as you make so many sacrifices to serve the Lord and help take this wonderful gospel to different parts of the world. I am looking forward to learning your destination!

LeAnn said...

Congratulations on your new mission call. I was the nurse for the Washington Spokane Mission and loved it. It was so much fun working with Elders and Sisters. I even was able to do some health lessons in Zone Conferences. It will remain one of my favorite callings.
Blessings to you and hope that you will keep up a mission journal. You will have some wonderful experiences.

KMN said...

I love your new blog background! And I will miss you tons!!!

Marilyn said...

Wheeee! How exciting! Thanks for commenting on my blog so I would know. I don't think we are quite ready yet to leave on our mission, but I think we are definitely in the preparation phase right now-ha ha. I hope you will have time to update your blog regularly so we can keep up with your adventures! I know the Lord will bless you greatly. I have a strong testimony of the grace of our Savior Jesus Christ. He will bless you and help you to do the hard things! ♥

alpinekleins said...

Holy macaroni! I go away for a week and your world changes! I'm just so excited for you I can hardly type :D Lori and Wes you will be incredible and I can't wait to hear where in the world you will be serving for the next three years.

I can also relate to how difficult it must be to leave for three years! But on the bright side - your family may travel to see you all in the mission field and have a wonderful experience!

Best wishes!! Start packing . . .

Kristin

rad6 said...

This is Ammmmaaazing news!!!! I am so excited to hear about where you are going. I cant find your email address and I want to write you off line... can you please reply with your address?

I am so excited for you! You will be an awesome mission mom! :)
btw, my sis in law served in Ecuador too... what years were you there?
Ruth