Thursday, August 6, 2009

If you have a child who will be in seminary . . .

Seminary starts next week for us and that means no more sleeping in! We are on the early morning program and start at 5:50 a.m. (a full five minutes later than last year!). But whether you have early morning or released time, a very important part of seminary is . . .

scripture mastery!



Each year seminary students are required to "master" twenty five scriptures from the book of scripture they are studying that year. This year we are studying the Book of Mormon.



If you or your child want some extra help in learning these scriptures, here are a couple websites with good information.



The best is the church's own seminary and institute website at http://www.ldsces.org/. If you go to there, click on "seminary" on the left side of the page. (You do not need a password to enter that part of the site) That will take you into the seminary website and you can choose where you want to go from there.



Or you can go directly to the Book of Mormon Resources by clicking here. This will give you the list of scriptures, the seminary video songs, book marks, time lines and pictures as well as other resources.



You can also go directly to the scripture mastery page by clicking here. On this page, you will find games that can help you learn about the scriptures and help in memorizing them. You can even do a timed virtual scripture chase! (The instructions aren't very clear, but it is easy to figure out if you play around with it for a few minutes.)



And for a fun, non-official church site with the scriptures put to music go here. In the middle of this page you will see the different Book of Mormon references for the scripture mastery scriptures listed. Click on one of the scriptures for a song to help you memorize the verses. These songs are performed by the group "Son's of Ammon" and are free. Some are a little corny, but my class loved the ones we learned from the New Testament last year, so I anticipate my new class will enjoy these as well. And besides, who doesn't learn better when it they sing a song?!



Have Fun!! And I hope you all have a great year!!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I know it's so true...if you work on them at home they learn them so much faster and better. Good luck and best wishes for a great year. I won't be teaching this year but I'll still be getting up early to get my daughter there!

Anonymous said...

I still remember some of my scripture mastery from high school!! It always brings back memories when I run across a verse.

Emma T said...

Thanks so much! I am sorry to say I have two seminary students and have never been much help to them. I enjoyed looking over the resources. I had no idea the church had that much available!!

justmeagain said...

I loved seminary--especially scripture chase. And I have a son starting high school this year. I listened to a couple of the songs and loved them. I am not sure my son will love them as much, but we will give it a try.

Jill said...

You might want to consult with Baby T. He is a scripture mastery genius

Misha said...

I am so jealous you get to teach seminary. I would love to do that some day!