Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Flowers Amidst Adversity


My neighbor has been going through a very tough time. Her days have been filled with surgery, tests, medication challenges, more tests, more medication challenges, radiation therapy etc. Yet, just as the challenges were beginning, she planted purple daisies in her vegetable garden, along with her vegetables.

I love purple. And I love the purple daisies.
As I pass from my bedroom to the family room, about a hundred times a day, I always glance out the window at the end of the hall. From that window I can see the daisies.

And each time I see them, they bring joy to my soul.

I have been thinking about that. At a time when my neighbor was struggling, she was also bringing joy to my life. It wasn't intentional, it wasn't planned, it wasn't due to any extra effort on her part. It just happened.

There once was a story in the Ensign about a woman who was working in her yard and singing hymns. She was facing some adversity and chose to sing the hymns as a way to gain strength during her challenges. Unknown to her, her neighbor was also going through some difficult times. As the neighbor walked into her back yard, she heard the singing on the other side of the fence. The melody calmed her soul and the words brought her comfort.

Without even knowing it, the first woman's way of dealing with her trials blessed the life of another.

I think my neighbor is a lot like the lady who sang. During some very dark days she blessed my life by choosing to plant something of great beauty.

The lesson I have learned from her example is this . . . how we deal with the challenges of our life, may have an effect on the lives of others. And even in our darkest days, we can still bring . . . joy to another's journey.


7 comments:

Momza said...

You should send this to the Ensign...remarkable, memorable, inspiring.

Lisa @ Pulsipher Page said...

I agree

MissKris said...

I feel so bad for her... I hope she's able to be healed.

Anonymous said...

It is better than the Ensign. (Did I just say that?)

More real, less formal than the stories in there.

Thank you.

Nikia, May and da kids said...

There is such a positive spirit to your blog postings. I had the chance to read through many of them and enjoy the energy you have for the gospel. I hope to follow more of your journey.

May
check us out sometime

Mary said...

It is so true- we effect others more then we will ever know.

Rebecca Irvine said...

This is a great reminder. I agree with Momza--send it to the Ensign.

PS, I much prefer chocolate chips over raisins, too.