Friday, December 4, 2009

You Know Basketball Reigns Supreme When . .


My first date with my husband was to a basketball game. In fact, when I was asked out, I was given a choice of three different nights he was available, but the activity for all three would be basketball. His brother was a high school basketball coach at the time and playing in a tournament so that was Wes' activity of choice.


It should have been a warning to me of what the future would bring. But I was so smitten after just one date (I don't remember much about the game, but I do remember our fun conversation afterwards) that I didn't pay attention to the warning signs.


After we were married he ditched me on the night we had planned to decorate our first Christmas tree to go to a college basketball game with some family members. And on another occasion, very early in our marriage, he even stood me up on Valentine's for basketball. (He has since repented--numerous times --for that one.)


Over the years I came to understand that it really wasn't his fault. It was genetic. His three brothers are just the same. All four boys in his family love to play the game, they all love to watch it and two have coached professionally, with one currently being a coach of a college team.


So I guess it shouldn't have been surprising when my niece recently announced she was moving up her wedding date to coincide with her uncle's basketball game. Apparently Ken's college team will be in Phoenix early January to play Grand Canyon University. So Riki thought, "What better day to get married?" The wedding will be in the morning. A luncheon will follow and instead of a wedding reception at night, everyone is invited to attend the basketball game!! Of course! It makes perfect sense, right?

8 comments:

Meredith said...

I laughed so hard when my mom told me the wedding plan :)

Lisa @ Pulsipher Page said...

Wow, Your husband and mine could be the best of friends. With all the sports info. between them they're would never be an end to their conversation.

Events are planned around game time in our family too. Not so much weddings. My husband did however tape over our wedding reception video. You guessed it- a game.

Anonymous said...

Wow! And I thought my hubby's football obsession was bad.

Dave and Camille said...

That is seriously too funny. I already knew the story and I was still laughing. For some reason I never knew that your first date with dad was to a basketball game... I should have known. Love you!

Shannon said...

Too funny! That is one dedicated basketball family you have!

Jill said...

I wonder if I would hate sports less if I had grown up in a different family

Marilyn said...

hahaha. That's great. I have family that is obsessed with ASU football, so I know the feeling. I must tell you though, that my secret wish always was that Riki and my Steve would get together.....oh well.....She was his first crush..

Momza said...

So fun! Everyone should be as flexible as this!
Hope the day goes perfectly!