Thursday, February 4, 2010

Well, no wonder that hurt!!!


My father stepped on a toothpick. No big deal. Many people have stepped on them before and lived to tell the tale, so we didn't think much of it. He complained of the pain in his foot and we giggled at how men don't handle pain very well.


Then his foot began to swell. And swell. Filled with infection and twice its normal size, no one was giggling any longer. There was something definitely wrong. But seriously, all this from a little prick of a toothpick?


A doctor's appointment was made. An MRI was ordered. Antibiotics were administered


Nothing was found and there was no improvement.


And so surgery was scheduled for yesterday morning to go in and see what was causing so much tissue contention.


They found the little offender, only it wasn't all that little. Buried deep in his foot was a shard of wood one and a quarter inches long!! How on earth does a piece of wood that size get that far into your foot?


No wonder he was in pain! The poor man!! Thankfully, today he is doing better.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Also, thanks so much to all of you who were so encouraging before my talk in church last Sunday. I loved reading your comments and appreciated the things you said. I felt so much love and support. And in case you were wondering . . . :-) both the congregation and I survived. There was one uncomfortable moment for a girl in the audience, though. She is one of my seminary students and I love her dearly, but when I looked out and saw her, she was asleep!! Without thinking--and probably more out of habit--I blurted out, "________ are you really going to sleep through my talk?" Her head quickly popped up. A few minutes later I looked at her again and she and her friend (also one of my beloved seminary students) both had their heads back and their mouths open--totally awake, just trying to tease me.
I love those kids!!

8 comments:

Suzanne said...

Wonderful on your talk! So sorry to hear about your dad! That is just awful! Hope he has a speedy recovery. That was hilarious that you called your seminary student out at the pulpit! That's just awesome! Hope your day is great! -Suzanne

Emma T said...

Ouch!! That sounds awful. I am glad your dad is doing better.

Nikia, May and da kids said...

That is pretty horrible about your dad. I am glad that your speech went well though. I knew it would = )

May

MissKris said...

hahaha I can't believe you said that to her. But at least you picked a fun girl if you had to pick anybody. hahaha wish I could have been there!
Love you!

Jenny-Jenny said...

So funny about your talk. Watch out, she may be planning REVENGE. hehe. Crazy about your Dad. Glad he's doing better.

Momza said...

ouch!ouch! Poor Granpa! Hope he's better in no time!
I didn't know about a talk, but I am certain it was wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Yikes on the toothpick! But the talk sounds wonderful!

justmeagain said...

So sorry to hear about your dad!! How awful to have something like that stuck in your foot. I don't think I have ever heard anything like that before.

And I am glad your talk went well. That is funny about your student. I am guessing everyone stayed awake after that.