Monday, April 5, 2010

My Friend "Em". My life vs Her's

On Saturday afternoon, while I sat at the movie theater enjoying a movie with my daughter and some friends, another friend, (who I will call “Em”) was rescuing the block wall in her backyard from destruction after her little boys decided it would be really fun to make holes in the wall by swinging golf clubs at it.

While my husband went to priesthood meeting and I went to dinner with “the girls”, my friend Em was cleaning up large puddles of water from the carpet in her little boys’ room. After being sent to their room as punishment for the golf club incident, they decided to empty out the large plastic tub used for toys and fill it with water. Jumping from the beds into the water tub produced wonderful splashes that soaked the nearby bedding, the carpets and even all the way through the mattress and box spring. All the bedding had to be taken outside to dry and the water sucked up from the carpets with a shop vac.

On Sunday afternoon, while I enjoyed a very pleasant Easter feast with my family and our neighbors, my friend Em was cleaning up water and soap from her carpet in the hall. When the water from the splashing tub soaked the mattresses the night before, it also soaked a cardboard box under the bed. The box was brought out, it’s contents emptied, and the box put out to dry. However, a box that size apparently can make a great slide when placed on the stairs, and coated with soapy water.

And so today, after five little boys were all lovingly (and eagerly) placed on the bus for school, Em and I went and got pedicures.

I think she needed it.

And no longer will I complain I need more variety in my life. I think I will be happy to leave my life just as it is.:-)

At least for now.

13 comments:

Emma T said...

Oh my gosh!! I feel so sorry for your friend. What a crazy life. I hope she felt better after the pedicure!

Lisa @ Pulsipher Page said...

Pedicures are magical. Hope it helped.

Anonymous said...

Me and Em have alot in common.

Handsfullmom said...

This too shall pass? How funny. I've had days and weeks (and okay, years) like that.

Shannon said...

Congrats to Em for still being around today- and for still having 5 little boys! Hope she takes notes. Someday, this will all be over and then she can write a most amazing book and have enough distance from it to laugh!

Anonymous said...

All I could think as I read was...there is a time for everything and a season, and each has is bad days! I guess we should enjoy all the good days. (And Laugh at our bad ones.)

MissKris said...

Aren't you glad you got four girls?

Momza said...

Ahhh motherhood...it ain't fer sissies!

Rebecca Irvine said...

Thank heaven for different times and seasons in life. No woman could deal with those five boys forever and remain sane.

Jenny-Jenny said...

Oh boy. You are wonderful to take her for a pedicure. And maybe some bon bons?

Terri said...

memory flashes of raising Ben and Seth.........Maybe her husband gave her the same advice my husband gave me at that time many years ago, "just tie them to the chair all day..."

alpinekleins said...

I remember those days and sometimes wonder how I lived to tell any tales!

Kristin

Unknown said...

Just catching up on your recents posts! Love them! And I say little boys are NOTHING compared to 4 year old, whiny, melodramatic girls! Whew! When hormones really kick in I am in serious trouble.